Our Logo Use Policy
The Global Compact name and logo are the property of the United Nations Global Compact Office. They are registered with the World Intellectual Property Organization and are protected worldwide under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property. In connection with formally recognizing the Global Compact Network Canada as an official Global Compact Network, the UN Global Compact Office has granted the Global Compact Network Canada the limited right to use the Global Compact name and logo as part of its name and logo for official Network purposes for a one-year period (which may be renewed annually), and to grant its eligible Network members who apply to use the Network Endorser logo, a limited right to use the Network Endorser logo for purposes consistent with these this policy . The Network logos as well as the Network Endorser (“We Support”) logos. The following guidelines govern the use of the Network logo by the Global Compact Network Canada, and the Network Endorser logo by its Network members:
1. Logo of the Global Compact Network Canada (“Network logo”)
The Network logo is for official Network purposes only (and not for use by Network members). Permitted uses of the Network logo by the Network staff include:
- At an event forum or conference organized sponsored by or involving the Network;
- In promotional or informational material prepared by the Network including but not limited to advertisements banners brochures event agendas presentations reports and signs – should the Network wish to do so;
- On business cards of Network staff members and the Network representative;
- On the official Network website; and
- On Network letterhead and in Network emails or other communications with Network members.
2. Version of the Global Compact Network logo for Network member use (Network Endorser logo – “We Support” logo)
Network members are encouraged to show their support for the Network by applying to the Global Compact Network Canada to use the Network Endorser logo. In order to apply for use of the Network Endorser logo, an organization must be: (1) a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact (“UN Global Compact”); and (2) a member of the Network.
The Network Endorser logo is a statement by the member about its support for the Network and is not an endorsement by the Network of the member, its products or services or level of sustainability performance. Use or placement of the Network Endorser logo must not imply that such an endorsement has been given.
Permitted use of the Network Endorser logo include:
- On informational material or a website (the Network Endorser logo should link to the
- Network website) to show the member's membership of and support for the Network;
- On presentations at network events or other forums or conferences to show the member's membership of and support for the Network;
- In the member's Communication on Progress and/or Sustainability report to
- indicate their membership of and support for the Network.
Process for applying for permission to use the Network Endorser logo:
- Applications must be in writing in advance of the intended use and be addressed to the network’s contact person.
- To expedite the handling of applications the applicant should include in their application a link to its participant page on the UN Global Compact website and state whether they are a member of the Network.
- The application should also describe the intended use or uses of the Network Endorser logo and include a sample indicating where on the sample the logo would appear.
- If the application is approved by the Network office the logo will be emailed to the member.
- The logo provided is the ONLY logo that may be used and the logo must not be modified in color scheme or background unless approved by the Network office after consultation with the UN Global Compact Office.
- If the use of the logo has been denied a letter or email will be sent to the member outlining the reasons for the denial and suggesting what modifications could be made to the application to enable its approval.
Prohibited use of the Network Endorser Logo:
Prohibited use of the Network Endorser logo include, but are not limited to:
- In material to promote a political party or to lobby a government on an issue not aligned with corporate sustainability;
- In any component of a Network member’s own logo trademark or other branding element;
- Any use that suggests or implies a certification or seal of approval for the member's services and/or products; and
- Any use inconsistent with the mission and objectives of the UN Global Compact.
Consequences of Misuse:
The UN Global Compact Office and the Global Compact Network Canada reserve the right to take appropriate action in the event of a breach of this policy. Possible actions may include, but are not limited to:
- Expulsion from the UN Global Compact; and
- Expulsion from the Global Compact Network Canada and/or commencing legal proceedings with the appropriate authorities.
Any suspected misuse of the Global Compact name or logos, including of the Local Network Canada logos should be referred to both the network’s contact person and email@example.com.